Cooking fires are one of the leading causes of house fires, with the National Fire Protection Association suggesting cooking fires account for nearly half of all house fires in the United States. To prevent kitchen fires, it's important to follow safe cooking practices, such as staying in the kitchen while cooking, keeping flammable materials away from heat sources, and regularly cleaning cooking surfaces.
Drywall Water Damage: All You Need to Know Drywall is a ubiquitous material lining the…September 20,2023
Dealing With Water Damage: Dos and Don’ts Water is not the best thing to have…September 17,2023
In this article brought to you by Tidal Wave Restoration, we look at common cooking accidents that cause fire damage. If you need fire damage cleanup or fire damage restoration in the Metro Atlanta area, call Tidal Wave Restoration to have a fire damage specialist dispatch to your location as soon as possible.
Cooking is a common daily activity, but it can quickly turn into a dangerous situation if you are not careful. Leaving food unattended on the stove or in the oven is one of the most common causes of cooking fires. A pot or pan left on a hot burner for too long can overheat and ignite, causing a dangerous fire. Always stay in the kitchen while cooking, and never leave food unattended on the stove or in the oven.
Cooking with oil or grease can be dangerous, as it can easily ignite and cause a fire. If the oil overheats or catches fire, it can quickly get out of control and spread throughout the kitchen. To prevent grease fires, use caution when cooking with oil or grease, and never leave it unattended on the stove. Keep a fire extinguisher nearby in case of emergency.
While on this topic, it’s crucial to remember to NEVER throw water on a grease fire! Pouring water on a grease fire can cause the burning grease to splash and make the fire spread faster. Instead, turn off the heat source and cover the pot or pan with a metal lid to suffocate the fire. Glass lids should NOT be used as they can shatter. If the fire is uncontrollable, evacuate the property and call the fire department!
Placing flammable materials such as dish towels, oven mitts, plastic containers, or oil near a heat source can easily cause a fire. Make sure that your cooking area is clean and free from clutter. Always keep flammable materials away from heat sources, and never place anything on top of the stove that could catch fire.
Overheating food in the microwave or on the stove can also cause a fire. Always follow cooking instructions for temperature and time to prevent overheating. Never use appliances that are damaged or malfunctioning as they can unexpectedly overheat and trigger a fire.
Faulty wiring or malfunctioning appliances can also cause fires. Regularly inspect your appliances and wiring for any signs of damage or wear and tear. Never use appliances that have frayed cords, and do NOT overload electrical outlets. Periodic electrical inspections can be lifesaving!
Have you just experienced a cooking fire, or building fire? After you’ve called the fire department, grab the phone and call Tidal Wave Restoration for fire damage cleanup and fire damage restoration in the Metro Atlanta area. Our live representatives and fire damage specialists are on standby for your call now.